For many years it was believed that most of the medieval town of Kells was self-contained within the Burgess Court of Kells Priory. Through aerial surveying undertaken by Simon Dowling, we now know this not to be the case. By examining the earthworks in the picture above, a streetscape is evident. Unfortunately not much is known about the town or it's demise but the Down Survey Map (c.1650) places 3 or 4 tower houses on the site during this time. 'William Marshal and Ireland'